Men in spandex

As a straight male with typical male interests, I think this is the golden age of male movie-goers. I recently watched a movie about giant monsters fighting in a major city, another about soldiers fighting aliens in an exo-skeleton, and another about superheroes.

Superhero movies are not recent inventions, but these days it seems more and more money is thrown at the production of these movies, more A-list actors are getting involved in them, and the sheer effort put into making them is making me thankful that I have a penis, even more so than before.

Marvel Studios are going full steam ahead with their Avengers franchise (slated to run until 2025) with movies, TV series, short films, Fox just revived their X-Men franchise, Warner Bros jumping on the bandwagon through their Superman vs Batman movie, Green Arrow and the Flash TV series, and to a lesser extent Sony's Spiderman reboot.

Regardless of whoever made it possible for men in spandex to be taken seriously on the silver screen first, it seems that we can't get enough of superhero movies at the moment.

In a way, I'm not sure whether I'm watching these movies without bias or not. Even if they made a Batman movie with Miley Cyrus as the Caped Crusader, I'd probably still watch it I think. That's what happened with the recent Spiderman movies, I can't help myself even though I had known it would suck major balls. At heart I'm still a 12 year old, and I'm sure I'm not the only dude who feels that way.

Why is this genre so irresistible? It's not that it's just recently for me. I watched Daredevil, all the pre-Nolan Batmans, that 70's Spiderman, the weird Captain America with motorcycle and motorcycle helmet, the TV Flash (the 90's one), even that Davis Hasselhoff Nick Fury TV movie (all of which I barely remember now). I'm not that big of a comic book fan. I have Kingdom Come, downloaded only the most memorable titles (Dark Night Returns, Red Sun, Year One). So what makes me helpless when it comes to these men in spandex, only God knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment